Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Florence!

This weekend I spent three days in Florence even though we had some problems with where we were staying I could not help think it was the most beautiful place I had ever been too!


While I was in Florence the first thing I had to do was clime to the top of the Florence Cathedral. I wanted to see the city and that I did!

The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore is the cathedral church of Florence, Italy, the building of this structure begun in 1296, and was completed in 1436. 

The cathedral complex, located in Piazza del Duomo, includes the Baptistery and Giotto's Campanile.




Florence lies on River Arno and is known for its history and its importance in the Middle Ages and in the Renaissance, especially for its art and architecture.

Florence is considered the birthplace of the Italian Renaissance.  It was long under the rule of the Medici family. 


"David" is a marble sculpture that stands at about 17 feet high, and was worked on between 1501 and 1504, by the Italian artist Michelangelo. 

The statue was moved to the Accademia Gallery in Florence in 1873, and later replaced at the original location by a replica.


The proportions of the David also add up to golden ratio!  Much of the art in Florance had was so beautifully placed and balanced.  It was life changing and I would love to go back some day soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment